Thursday, February 21, 2013

How Berry Delicious!

A terrible pun, I know.

Though it may not feel like it quite yet, Spring is almost upon us! I admit, I tasted these beers wayyy back during the NFL playoffs, and have been putting off this post until now. Today, I've got for you two Strawberry Beers - one, from our ever-favorite DE brewery Dogfish Head, and the other from UK-Based Samuel Smith Brewery.

Let's start off with the Tweason'ale. I picked this one up when Nick and I made a trip down to Delaware to visit his cousin and to make a stop at Dogfish Head's Ale house in Rehoboth Beach. Nothing's better than straight from the source!

This beer was admittedly not what I expected. It's sorghum-based, (gluten-free!) and includes strawberries and honey. The color is a predictable golden honey color, very clear and bubbly. The head was impressive, but dissipated quickly. It smells sweet, but not too sweet, as in "this definitely isn't a beer" sweet. As for the taste, the strawberry was not overwhelming at all, which made for a refreshing, lighter beer. Very drinkable. At a 6.0% ABV, this runs on the lighter side of DH's beers. Absolutely worth a try if you want a change of pace, and/or want to convince yourself that this beer is "healthy" ;) .

In my opinion, this is a great option for anyone with a gluten intolerance, but who still wants a crisp refreshing beer to drink. Once again, the artwork on the bottles and the 4-pack were super cute, a strawberry and honeybee falling in love? How cute!


Ugh, on to the next one. There's not much I can say about Samuel Smith's Organic Strawberry Fruit Ale. It smells like strawberry jam, tastes like strawberry soda....super duper sweet. 5.2% ABV. It's brewed with strawberry juice, though I'm not sure how great it ferments given how overpoweringly sweet it is. From the appearance, you can see the rich reddish color, and slightly beige head on it. But the beer-ness stops there. I can't even equate this to a wine...that's how sweet it is. Don't get me wrong, I drank it, but don't call it a beer...its a fermented fruit drink.

On the brewery website, they describe this beer as being a refreshing after-dinner beer for the summer. I guess, if I plan on drinking my dessert instead of eating it. For anyone who doesn't really like beer and prefers juice instead, here you go.

Happy Drinking!
-Maggie

No comments:

Post a Comment